Keyring password

Lars Wirzenius lars at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 26 11:43:36 GMT 2009

to, 2009-03-26 kello 09:42 +0000, Matt Zimmerman kirjoitti:
> I disagree; this is not a documentation issue.  The user should not need to
> know or care about the keyring.  It should be essentially invisible to them,
> just as it is in the normal (non-autologin) case.

I weakly disagree: I have always felt uncomfortable with an invisible,
nebulous entity on the desktop storing my passwords: I don't know where
they are, how they're encrypted, and what passwords go there.

This affects things like backup strategies. I would not want to back up
a keyring that contains an ssh or gpg passphrase, even if encrypted, to
a server accessible by others, even if I'm happy to put computer-janitor
source there.