Heavy printing regression in Jaunty: SRU?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 4 19:02:55 BST 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 02:29:27PM +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> So we can fix all the regressions with simple fixes in two packages, the
> mentioned Poppler patch and a patch to CUPS to use Poppler again and to
> call Poppler's pdftops the right way. This means, with the new
> "-origpagesizes" when the CUPS option "fitplot" is not given, never
> using "-noembtt" as this causes missing text characters in some cases
> (see bug 362186 and bug 381788) and not emitting PostScript Level 3 (see
> bug 277404). As the fix in Poppler prevents the reappearing of bug
> 310575/bug 329991 there is no known regression when returning to Poppler.

> So I am thinking about applying the two small changes to Poppler and
> CUPS as an SRU for Jaunty. WDYT?

I think describing these as "small" changes is misleading; the chance of
regression from completely changing the rendering backend for CUPS is quite
high.  While the impact of the bug is significant and therefore it's worth
considering for an SRU, the change needs to be uploaded first to karmic and
tested there, and we ought to have some aggressive regression testing for
this change within jaunty-proposed prior to publishing the SRU.

Cheers,