AutoFsck inclusion criteria

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 3 18:23:32 BST 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 02:28:44PM +0200, petr bug wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> There is a blueprint for feature that does filesystem check on
> power-down (instead of on power-up when user has to wait). It is
> called "AutoFsck",
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/prompt-for-fsck-on-shutdown.
>
> This functionality has been somewhat implemented for half year and
> appears to be popular/desired by users. The feature helps many users
> and hurts no-one - I expect. But is not included in default Ubuntu
> installation.
>
> What has to be done for this package to be installed by default?

It is (even according to its author) not a complete solution, and could not
be used in Ubuntu in its current state.  Scott James Remnant of the
Technical Board took an in-depth look at it some time ago.

There have been various discussions on whether automatic fsck behaviour in
Ubuntu could be improved, but before anything will get done, someone needs
to seek a consensus and do the work of creating something which passes
review.

If people like it, they can vote for it on brainstorm, and if it's
considered more important than the other topics on there, it will get more
developer attention.

--
 - mdz