BZR checkout speed

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 1 10:18:06 BST 2008

"Emmet Hikory" <persia at ubuntu.com> writes:

> James Westby wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 13:04 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>>>     Perhaps I'm using different commands.
> <...>
>>> It takes me 0m9.187s seconds to `apt-get source
>>> update-manager` from archive.ubuntu.com, and 5m24.582s to `bzr branch
>>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/update-manager/main`.
> <...>
>> Yes, you are using a different command, Matt was referring to
>> "bzr checkout --lightweight", which get's you just the latest
>> version of the source, just as "apt-get source" does. This would
>> presumably be what a sponsor would want to sponsor something
>> easy on a package that they hadn't touched before.
>
>     Thanks for the hint.  With ` bzr checkout --lightweight
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/update-manager/main`, I'm
> down to 2m55.335s, but it's still not anywhere close to the numbers
> Matt posted, and still not directly comparable to apt-get source.

>> time bzr lco lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/update-manager/main
Format <RepositoryFormatKnit1> for
lp-140211244:///~ubuntu-core-dev/update-manager/main/.bzr is
deprecated - please use 'bzr upgrade' to get better performance
Format <RepositoryFormatKnit1> for
bzr+ssh://siretart@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-core-dev/update-manager/main/.bzr/
is deprecated - please use 'bzr upgrade' to get better performance

bzr lco lp:~ubuntu-core-dev/update-manager/main  5,12s user 0,29s system 12% cpu 42,447 total

So about 42 sec for a lightweight checkout.

That it way better than the 3 minutes for emmet (perhaps mainly because
of using the bzr+ssh:// transport) and IMO almost acceptable.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4