Accepted: ubuntu-dev-tools 0.33 (source)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jul 18 21:12:55 BST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:06:59 +0100 Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
>Scott Kitterman [2008-07-18 12:46 -0400]:
>> I've been operating under the, apparently mistaken, view that
>> debian/changelog should document all changes made to a package.
>
>You don't document that you changed the version number or
>debian/changelog either usually.

Actually debian/changelog is exactly where it's documented.

>> Is it documented somewhere what changes it is acceptable to impose
>> silently?
>
>But the X-O-M: is not a change we do to a source package on its own
>right and thus not interesting. It is just a consequence of doing real
>changes, much like changing the version number to "ubuntuN" (which is
>exactly the same category of change as X-O-M).

Every upload has a version and that version is in debian/changelog.

>> P.S. Uploads are a very poor way to make policy changes.
>
>It is not a policy change. It has never been policy to mention this in
>changelogs. I guess it just became sort of common practice because the
>script did it; that change has never been discussed either (at least
>not under a policy aspect).

I do think it is policy to document changes.  The fact that this change is
a common one doesn't make it any less a change.

If I debdiff two revisions of a package and look at debian/changelog I
expect to see all the changes documented.  I'm quite suprised to find this
point controversial.

Scott K