Accepted: ubuntu-dev-tools 0.33 (source)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 18 18:06:59 BST 2008

Scott Kitterman [2008-07-18 12:46 -0400]:
> I've been operating under the, apparently mistaken, view that
> debian/changelog should document all changes made to a package.

You don't document that you changed the version number or
debian/changelog either usually.

> Is it documented somewhere what changes it is acceptable to impose
> silently?

But the X-O-M: is not a change we do to a source package on its own
right and thus not interesting. It is just a consequence of doing real
changes, much like changing the version number to "ubuntuN" (which is
exactly the same category of change as X-O-M).

> P.S. Uploads are a very poor way to make policy changes.

It is not a policy change. It has never been policy to mention this in
changelogs. I guess it just became sort of common practice because the
script did it; that change has never been discussed either (at least
not under a policy aspect).

Martin