8.04.1 to Intrepid upgrade test

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Sun Jul 6 23:01:24 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 05:55:36PM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> With 8.04.1 safely out the door, I decided to brave an upgrade to Intrepid.
>
>  * Switching to a text console, I found that the reason for the failure was
>    that the nvidia module was missing entirely (LP #243863)

We're going to be making some significant changes regarding -nvidia here
coming up.  The driver (along with -fglrx) are going to be broken out of
LRM into standalone packages.  There is also going to be a fourth
version of -nvidia added since nVidia has again broken support for older
hardware.  The naming scheme for the driver will also be changed.  I'll
leave to pitti and tseliot to speak to the particulars since they've
been hot and heavy on this the past few weeks.  Alberto has recently put
a first draft of these changes on his PPA for testing at:
https://launchpad.net/~lrm-intrepid/+archive

With the current -nvidia in Intrepid, I suspect people have been holding
off on messing with it given the upcoming changes.  I think when the new
stuff gets uploaded we'll see a lot of the current issues resolve.

For bulletproof-x, I'm a bit torn, as it has its uses, but with KDE now
actively deprecating guidance-backends, and our own dropping of
displayconfig-gtk due to its lack of xrandr support, overall it's
exhibiting an increasing number of unaddressed bugs.  Debian's
preference is to instead build an exception-handling capability directly
into the xserver, which is probably a good idea but I've not had time to
look into that, nor have they.  Pending that, I'm wondering if we should
just switch off bulletproof-x mode for now?  The 'xfix' option (which
essentially just does a "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg") will
cover the case of an invalid xorg.conf; Jockey and Envy-NG are covering
the proprietary module installation/configuration better; other BPX use
cases are largely obsolete with current "config-less" X.org.

Bryce