Server Team 20080812 meeting minutes

Tim Gardner tcanonical at tpi.com
Wed Aug 13 13:19:42 BST 2008

Mathias Gug wrote:

> ==== ISV's - VMware on Gutsy and Hardy ====
>
> owh asked about the state of the vmware-server package available from
> Canonical's partner archive. A version for hardy hasn't been released yet.
> dendrobates stated that kernel abi changes are problematic and we are trying
> to reduce them to make it easier.

One of the topics up for discussion at the mid-September kernel sprint
is the possibility of maintaining a stable Hardy kernel that will suffer
ABI bumps only when absolutely necessary (such as for important security
updates), and a desktop kernel to which we apply SRU fixes as often as
needed (primarily for hardware enablement and hardware related bug fixes).

In the meantime, one option for ABI dependent ISV software is to package
using DKMS which can be triggered to rebuild whenever the ABI changes.

rtg
Tim Gardner tim.gardner at ubuntu.com