Wiki CLEANUP

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 25 01:34:11 BST 2007

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:47:48AM +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > You might consider renaming UbuntuDevelopment to DeveloperGuide (or renaming
> > the packaging guide) for consistency; if so, remember that it is linked from
> > www.ubuntu.com as well.
>
>     I believe UbuntuDevelopment is a better name for the base page, as
> there is a fair amount of information regarding processes and teams
> that is interesting to non-developers.  DevelopersGuide may restrict
> the audience in such a way that it renews common questions such as
> "How is Ubuntu developed?", "Who develops Ubuntu?", etc.  For those
> asking "How can I help?", I suspect that both names are likely to
> appear when searching, and so DevelopersGuide would add little
> recruitment value.

UbuntuDevelopment is meant to answer "How is Ubuntu developed?", for an
audience of people who are either already involved in it or looking to
contribute.  It doesn't directly answer "How can I help?" but should link to
that information.

PackagingGuide is meant to answer "How do I create and maintain packages?"
which is a particular part of how Ubuntu is developed, with enough material
to justify a separate document.

I'm happy with them as they stand, but if there's another suggestion which
is clearer, that's fine with me as well.

--
 - mdz