Wiki CLEANUP

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 24 14:48:46 BST 2007

Am Freitag, den 21.09.2007, 07:50 -0400 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> Seriously, re-arranging stuff either leads to dead links or a spaghetti mess
> of redirects.
>
> I see from my wiki page subscriptions that you've already started "cleaning
> stuff up".

I dropped redirects that went into the void, tagged pages with
suggestions for the Wiki Cleanup Plan.

> It's probably because I'm old and cranky, but I tend to believe that web links
> should be persistent.  IF we are going to break a bunch of links it ought to
> be thought through and agreed, not executed and then forcing people to react.

For those who are interested in the history of the project: I've been
talking about the need to re-arrange the MOTU wiki to people for a long
while. It was agreed on again and again, in meetings, on IRC, at UDSes
and on the mailing list. Everybody was too busy to attack the MOTU
namespace as a whole. I volunteered, talked to people again, Emmet
reviewed the wiki and we agreed on points to get it into shape again.

What I do at the moment is propose some ideas again. I tagged pages with
proposals -- there's nothing 'put into action'.

Calling this all as plans that are 'executed and then forcing people to
react' is ignoring all the discussions and work that have been put into
this since months.

Also you don't comment any points of the proposal concretely.

I agree that it's a shame to have links go into the void, but we have
myriads of pages on the wiki that don't deserve to be kept around and
confuse people forever.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel