Freetype changes

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Sep 20 15:10:16 BST 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 12:12:47PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> I'm confused; the screenshot you post above is *correct* behaviour if
> Sub-pixel rendering is enabled.

No. If I've asked for a white glyph, then it makes sense for that font
to be rendered in white in as many cases as possible. This patch alters
that behaviour.

> We compared the rendering of fonts with these patches with the rendering
> of the same fonts in Windows and Mac OS, and with the patches
> differences were negligible, while without them fonts were consistently
> rendered with the wrong apparent shape.

However, it currently does this at the cost of legibility with small
font sizes. There's an argument for correcting shape by moving away from
aligning glyphs to pixel boundaries, but it's not an argument we should
be having this close to release.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org