Freetype changes

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 20 12:12:47 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 05:27 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> I've reverted the changes that Scott made to Freetype, Xft and Cairo.
> This functionality is intended to improve rendering on LCD screens, but
> it's clearly failing to do so at the moment - vertical lines were being
> rendered across sub-pixel boundaries, resulting in increased colour
> blurring and reduced legibility. As an example, see
> http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/tmp/blur.png - prior to the change, the
> vertical lines were solid white without any sub-pixel colouring.

I'm confused; the screenshot you post above is *correct* behaviour if
Sub-pixel rendering is enabled.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearType for example, especially
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikipedia_ClearType.png

We compared the rendering of fonts with these patches with the rendering
of the same fonts in Windows and Mac OS, and with the patches
differences were negligible, while without them fonts were consistently
rendered with the wrong apparent shape.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant