Freetype changes

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Sep 20 05:27:54 BST 2007

I've reverted the changes that Scott made to Freetype, Xft and Cairo.
This functionality is intended to improve rendering on LCD screens, but
it's clearly failing to do so at the moment - vertical lines were being
rendered across sub-pixel boundaries, resulting in increased colour
blurring and reduced legibility. As an example, see
http://www.codon.org.uk/~mjg59/tmp/blur.png - prior to the change, the
vertical lines were solid white without any sub-pixel colouring.

However, the rendering quality in some other situations did seem to
improve slightly. I'm uncomfortable with introducing this change this
close to beta without a full discussion of the pros and cons of the
change, and ideally I suspect we ought to defer it to post-UDS where we
can get more feedback from experts in this field. Thoughts?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org