localization support under ubuntu

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 1 11:04:15 BST 2007

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 07:51:21PM +0200, Mathias Broxvall wrote:
> The thing which is confusing here, is that before the custom command
> to set the bindtextdomain call, the custom sv_SE directories are
> searched but with the wrong package. However, after setting the
> bindtextdomain call, then en_US is used as the locale...
>
> I have a vague memory about reading about a patch to the
> bindtextdomain function in glibc in ubuntu, as a way to hard-code
> applications to use .mo files under /usr/share/locale-langpack -
> probably in the intent of simplifying the creation of "packages" of
> language support files. Could anyone confirm that this is the case?

I don't recall the details of which API calls were changed, but yes, glibc
in Ubuntu is modified to enable our language pack mechanism by searching
/usr/share/locale-langpack.  Martin Pitt (CCed) made the modifications.

> And if so, is there any way to access the "normal" bindtextdomain
> function?

I don't think so.  The behavior you describe sounds like a bug which should
be fixed; there should be no need to have two separate APIs.

--
 - mdz