ubuntu-devel and ubuntu-devel-discuss

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Tue Mar 20 18:44:53 GMT 2007

Jan Claeys wrote:
> On wo, 2007-03-07 at 11:11 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>> This is no joke; an excess of traffic means that important development
>> work is overlooked by developers who don't have time to follow
>> high-traffic mailing lists.  debian-devel is a prime example of how
>> bad this can get.
>
> I understand that; I sometimes receive > 1000 mails a day, and it's not
> like I read all of them.  That's why I suggest _filtering_...
>
>> The -devel/-devel-discuss split was already implemented to help avoid
>> this problem.  It has helped, and I'm looking for ways to make it work
>> even better.
>
> What I suggest is that developers who are interested in a particular
> discussion might want to go have a look in the mail folder that they
> usually just "mark-all-read".
>
> Of course, this might not work with some people's setup or workflow or
> whatever, but that's how I (try to) solve the mail flood...  :)

The point is that Debian has made this a distributed problem where every
subscriber needs to do their own filtering.  If you're not willing to
put in the effort to filter, you're not valued.  This makes the barrier
to entry higher.

Ubuntu is fixing this by making it a centralized problem.  Policies on
list conduct and content and enforcing them.  This lowers the barrier to
entry of the Ubuntu community.

I (though currently not a developer) support the idea to drop from
ubuntu-devel moderation (with a notice sent back to the original poster)
if the message is also going to ubuntu-devel-discuss.

Mike