specification: Unified Automatic System Monitoring

Bogdan Butnaru bogdanb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 21:56:40 BST 2007

Hello!

After a rejected bug report (and a prod from the triage guy) I wrote
"braindump" that I hope will become a well-written specification and
finally a nice update to Ubuntu.

Basically it's a proposal to unify parts of the various
system-monitoring and _logging_ tools we have (gnome-system-monitor,
gnome-power-manager, bootchart, I'm sure there are many others I
haven't seen yet) into a single system-wide daemon that collects the
data (like syslog but for binary info) and a library that will be used
by the said programs to display the data they're interested in.

I'm sure there are many things that are not yet right about the spec,
so if you worked on or are interested in any of the things I mentioned
above, please take a look on the spec and add your comments. I'm not
sure how a discussion is supposed to happen -- personal mail, should I
subscribed to a certain mailing list, on the wiki?

Please subscribe to the spec if you're interested at all, and don't
hesitate to contact me for any comments. (Alternatively, add them to
the wiki page!)

-- Bogdan Butnaru — bogdanb at gmail.com
"I think I am a fallen star, I should wish on myself." – O.