How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Sat Sep 30 13:16:01 BST 2006

Em sáb, 2006-09-30 às 01:14 +0200, Florian Zeitz escreveu:

> Yes you are certainly right. Many people want it.But from a technical
> point of view it sucks (might be a bit harsh, but isn't that untrue
> after all).
> And understandably developers don't want to have to support something
> that just isn't done the right way.

I was thinking about this matter of support. Correct me if i'm wrong,
but Firefox's source is only one for 32 & 64 bits, isn't it? I mean,
both are generated from the same source package.

How hard could it be to add a sort of "hybrid" arch, one which would
compile 32-bit firefox for amd64 the same way it does for i386, but then
just put it in the correct places on the amd64 directory structure on
the binary package?

As far as I recall, mozilla.com doesn't even distrubute firefox for
64-bit systems, not linux nor windows. So, if you want to run
mozilla.com's release, you must run it 32-bit.

[]s
Alexandre Strube
surak at ubuntu.com