Proposal for solving CD Size problems

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 26 18:55:11 BST 2006

Firstly note that this is just a proposal that I am making, it isn't
something that's been pre-decided and those who will ultimately make
this decision may not agree with me at all!

My proposal is this:

  - For edgy+1, make the default distribution medium a DVD, not a CD.

  - The DVD would be the current desktop CD, but with more room for all
    the other pieces that we would like to ship.

  - An additional DVD image with the remaining space taken up by
    language packs and other packages from main could also be made
    available.

  - The "alternate" disk would remain a CD, and would prompt the user
    for the tasks they would like to install.  If would not contain the
    complete ubuntu-desktop selection, if they wanted that, they would
    need an Internet connection to install the rest.

Rationale:

  - A CD is not large enough for the kinds of things we want to ship by
    default already

  - More features in future releases (such as telepathy, compiz, etc.)
    mean more space required

  - Recommended hardware[0] has now reached the point where we can
    expect a DVD drive to be available

  - Recommended hardware also has significantly more available disk
    space for the operating system than breezy, yet we don't take
    advantage of this for edgy

  - Users with existing installs and no DVD drive can upgrade using the
    Internet as usual

  - Users installing on older hardware and unwilling to upgrade won't
    want (or be able to use) may of the new features.  They would be
    content with the cut-down "alternate" disk or with the supported
    dapper release.

  - Vista and Mac OS X are distributed on DVD.

  - The server, edubuntu and Xubuntu derivatives may opt to still
    distribute on a CD, and still deal with the CD sizing pain

Arguments Against:

  - Increased download size for those wishing to burn their own.

    A downloadable DVD image without language packs and "stuff from the
    archive" (just the Live image and installer) should negate part of
    this.

    The additional download cost otherwise will be things that the user
    will probably want to install anyway

  - Requires a DVD writer, which isn't yet entry-level.  The alternate
    CD would still be available for those with a CD burner.

  - Increased shipit cost; DVDs cost more to make than CDs?

Alternatives:

  - Remove existing features (OpenOffice?) from Ubuntu

  - Stop putting new features into Ubuntu

  - Localised CDs (only one set of language support)

  - Two CD distribution ("Please insert Disc 2" during Live boot/?!)

Discuss.

Scott

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecommendedHardwareMetric
--