Proposal for solving CD Size problems

Pavel Rojtberg pavel at madman2k.net
Tue Sep 26 19:23:02 BST 2006

Hi

besides the contra arguments you already mentioned I have also doubts in
your rationale.

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> Rationale:
>
>   - A CD is not large enough for the kinds of things we want to ship by
>     default already
perhaps we want to ship too much or too bloated stuff? A reason for
using Ubuntu I hear quite often is that it is such a slim distribution.

>   - More features in future releases (such as telepathy, compiz, etc.)
>     mean more space required
Telepathy would replace Gaim, so the space requirement should not
increase that much.
Regarding Compiz I doubt that it will ever be shipped as default, since
it is not meant to be stable(just like XGL).
Compositing should be ready through Metacity by GNOME 2.18, so not much
increase here either.

>   - Recommended hardware[0] has now reached the point where we can
>     expect a DVD drive to be available
is this a good or a bad fact? like I already said in the F-Spot
discussion: todays software should be gnerally faster as software of
that time on older hardware performing the same task since more
profiling work etc. went in it.

Users still might want to use the vanilla Ubuntu with a less hardware
itensive GTK theme.

I dont think we need a change here - especially since there already are
DVD images avaible.

The only think I would add to the distribution process are stribbed down
net-install images, like debian has so I dont have to abuse them if I
want to make a customized ubuntu install from scratch.

Pavel