kubuntu knot3 results

Ming Hua minghua-list at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 18 03:17:44 BST 2006

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 11:05:16PM -0700, Constantine Evans wrote:
> I spoke too quickly in my last email. Looking at vim.tiny on my machine,
> this is caused by the configuration of vim-tiny being bad. Vim-tiny
> doesn't appear to have any global configuration file. Adding one and
> adding set nocompatible should fix the issue even with vim-tiny.
>
> Could this be done in the package? It would only add a few bytes, would
> it not?

I don't have an Edgy installation right now, so I can't test but just
ask:  (1) Do you have a /etc/vim/vimrc.tiny file?  That should be the
global configuration file for vim.tiny.  (2) Did you try invoke vim.tiny
with "vim" command instead of "vi"?  That should give you "nocompatible"
behaviour.

All these choices are deliberate by the Debian Vim maintainers, and the
are all recorded in the Debian changelog.

Whether Ubuntu should change this behavior (or just install a different
vim package by default) for Desktop installs is a good question, though.

Ming
2006.09.17