Lack of support for soft RAID

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Sep 4 06:13:24 BST 2006

"Scott White" <scott.w.white at gmail.com> writes:

> Presently there is no out of the box support for BIOS enabled software
> RAID such as the many that come with NVidia, Intel or Highpoint
> Chipsets.  This can be a turn-off for power users wishing to dual-boot
> WindowsXP and Ubuntu.
>
> Dual booting is easily performed, and the team has done an incredible
> job on a variety of systems, still I feel this area is severely
> lacking.
>
> In order to even get Ubuntu to see the drive you have to install
> DMRaid, which is in the universe of repositories, once you enable it.

Actually, this isn't really true.  The default install of KUbuntu 6.06
detected and configured a DMRaid partition based on the VIA BIOS on at
least two machines I have recently worked with.

I believe this is mediated through the EVMS system rather than through
DMRaid directly, but I certainly didn't install anything from the
network -- this was detected and (annoyingly) created during the CD
install process using the alternate CD.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/