Edgy in the news

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 31 20:07:03 GMT 2006

Hi ogra

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 17:14 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> given that the question "should i use apt-get or update-manager" comes
> up very often in ubuntu-users and the answer is often "there is no
> difference" we should really put a more enlightening wording in ...

In my local LUG, a lot of people have been Debian users for years, and
they have recently switched to Ubuntu, so they expect apt-get
dist-upgrade to work properly. Perhaps apt-get can be patched so that if
you say dist-upgrade, it will show you a warning to use update-manager
instead, and that if you want to continue, you could use apt-get
manual-upgrade (or something to that effect which would do the same as
dist-upgrade). I don't know if something like that would be feasible,
the downside would be that it moves a bit further away from Debian, but
I'm just throwing it out there.

-Jonathan