Notes on Beryl

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Oct 31 12:43:31 GMT 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:01:40PM +1100, James Doc Livingston wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 15:22 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > And dual-head support.  Compiz is completely unusable even if I switch
> > to a 1024x768 clone mode with xrandr before starting it.
>
> +1 on this. As far as I can tell[0], Compiz/Beryl lacks even basic
> Xinerama awareness - for example maximising a window will spread it
> across both screens. Beryl (not compiz) also seems to have issues
> switching workspaces/viewports on a dual-head system, windows seem to
> occasionally switch screens.

On my system, Compiz doesn't draw any windows that are larger than a
quarter of my 1024x768 desktop, if I have MergedFB enabled.  Maybe my
Radeon 7500 just doesn't have enough video memory for larger textures.
Does anyone know, if I switch from a 2304x1024 to 1024x768 virtual
desktop with xrandr, does the X server still keep 2304x1024-worth of
framebuffer allocated out of my puny 32 megs of video RAM?

Compiz works acceptably if I change xorg.conf to use a 1024x768 without
larger MergedFB MetaModes, and disable the "blur" plugin.  Acceptably
but not conveniently -- I miss my Metacity keyboard bindings, my 12
workspaces, and especially my dual-headness.

Marius Gedminas
living with MergedFB + metacity + xcompmgr for now
--
Microsoft has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
		-- Judge Jackson