Notes on Beryl

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 12:01:40 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 15:22 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> And dual-head support.  Compiz is completely unusable even if I switch
> to a 1024x768 clone mode with xrandr before starting it.

+1 on this. As far as I can tell[0], Compiz/Beryl lacks even basic
Xinerama awareness - for example maximising a window will spread it
across both screens. Beryl (not compiz) also seems to have issues
switching workspaces/viewports on a dual-head system, windows seem to
occasionally switch screens.

These are obviously just bugs, and don't affect many people who have
single-head systems, but IMHO should work acceptably in any window
manager that is being considered for being the default.

[0] using the latest release, I haven't tried cvs or looked at the
source.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right