Notes on Beryl

John Stowers john.stowers.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 20:12:37 GMT 2006

> thats why I would prefer sticking with metacity and just port the
> desired compiz plugins to it.
> The advantages are clear:
> Metacity already handles all the fallback stuff for us, so no manual
> intervention is needed when AIGLX is not avaible.
> On the other hand metacity does not support all the fancy effects compiz
> does, but IMO OGL accelerated compositing alone is enough for the most
> users.

There was an interesting discussion on the metacity list about the
future of compositing in metacity.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00314.html
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-October/msg00357.html

My summation of that thread:

The option of porting compiz plugins to metacity seems to be out of
the question.

Improving compiz to behave the same as metacity and then making them
use the same, sane defaults seems the likely solution.

When metacity does become compositor aware, it will be in a simplified
form, not with the bling of compiz.

> Although I'd like to see metacity implementig the following compiz plugins:
> * cube(in slide mode) for desktop switching
> * switcher for live preview in Alt+Tab
> * scale as an Alt+Tab alternative

Sounds reasonable, but as the thread mentioned, the devs think it will
probbbaly be easier to make metacity do this for scratch, and not
bother porting over the compiz plugin infrastructure.

John