New feature specifications: install without configuring the BIOS

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Wed Oct 18 14:11:49 BST 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:07:30AM +0200, Jordi Massaguer wrote:
>  --- Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> escribió:
> > I like the idea of avoiding this awkward step, but
> > when I last looked at
> > instlux, it worked by modifying the Windows boot
> > process to boot the CD
> > instead, and then undoing this afterward.  I don't
> > like the idea of
> > (potentially destructively) modifying the user's
> > Windows configuration in
> > order to do it.
> >
> > Is there another way?
> >

> I guess so :)
>
> You could modify the Master Boot Record, but that is,
> IMHO, more destructive.

Why is loadlin no longer an option?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loadlin

Used this a few years back a couple times.  Worked just fine (although there can
be issues with certain drivers/hardware).  Perhaps newer versions of Windows
leave the system in a state that is unfriendly to loadlin/linux?

-Forest