Repeat question

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 11 09:14:26 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:00:19PM -0400, Mitch Golden wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Colin Watson wrote:
> >On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 01:24:52PM -0400, Mitch Golden wrote:
> >>Earlier, I asked the question below.  Is there someone who reads this list
> >>who can point me at the code for the installer, and the people/list that I
> >>should be talking to regarding making this fix?
> >
> >Hi, I'm the installer maintainer. Your first point isn't actually an
> >installer issue at all: xorg.conf is generated by the maintainer scripts
> >in the xserver-xorg package (source package "xorg").
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.  Just on the off chance that you know -
> does the KDE display hardware configuration manager also use the same
> system for determining what flags to put in the xorg.conf file?  On a
> desktop machine of mine, I discovered that the KDE display manager
> actually added Option XaaNoPixmapCache which my display hardware seems to
> need.  It wasn't added during the initial install.

kdm itself doesn't seem to add that, but perhaps some KDE configuration
utility does. Although the Kubuntu installation procedure uses the same
xorg.conf generation code from xserver-xorg as everything else, I
wouldn't expect a KDE-specific X configuration utility to use that; it
will probably do its own thing. I couldn't find it on a quick search
through kdelibs and kdebase, though; Jonathan, do you know where this
comes from?

If it's possible to find out when this option needs to be added, then it
could probably be added to the xserver-xorg maintainer scripts.