Repeat question

Mitch Golden mgolden at mitchgolden.com
Tue Oct 10 23:00:19 BST 2006

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 01:24:52PM -0400, Mitch Golden wrote:
>> Earlier, I asked the question below.  Is there someone who reads this list
>> who can point me at the code for the installer, and the people/list that I
>> should be talking to regarding making this fix?
>
> Hi, I'm the installer maintainer. Your first point isn't actually an
> installer issue at all: xorg.conf is generated by the maintainer scripts
> in the xserver-xorg package (source package "xorg").

Thanks for getting back to me.  Just on the off chance that you know -
does the KDE display hardware configuration manager also use the same
system for determining what flags to put in the xorg.conf file?  On a
desktop machine of mine, I discovered that the KDE display manager
actually added Option XaaNoPixmapCache which my display hardware seems to
need.  It wasn't added during the initial install.

> As to your second
> point, while it's possible for the installer to select additional
> packages to install based on the hardware (hw-detect does most of this),
> this thread hasn't convinced me that it would be a good idea to do so; I
> generally believe Matthew Garrett in matters of laptop support.

I agree.  I neglected to cut off the second question when I posted.  The
second question had been answered, but I hadn't heard anything about the
first one...

   - Mitch