Repeat question

Mitch Golden mgolden at mitchgolden.com
Thu Oct 12 15:53:04 BST 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Colin Watson wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 06:00:19PM -0400, Mitch Golden wrote:
>
>> Thanks for getting back to me.  Just on the off chance that you know -
>> does the KDE display hardware configuration manager also use the same
>> system for determining what flags to put in the xorg.conf file?  On a
>> desktop machine of mine, I discovered that the KDE display manager
>> actually added Option XaaNoPixmapCache which my display hardware seems to
>> need.  It wasn't added during the initial install.
>
> kdm itself doesn't seem to add that, but perhaps some KDE configuration
> utility does. Although the Kubuntu installation procedure uses the same
> xorg.conf generation code from xserver-xorg as everything else, I
> wouldn't expect a KDE-specific X configuration utility to use that; it
> will probably do its own thing. I couldn't find it on a quick search
> through kdelibs and kdebase, though; Jonathan, do you know where this
> comes from?

It came when I used the display function under the control panel, and then
selected the hardware tab and made some change in adminstrator mode.  I
was pleased to see it work since it fixed a problem the initial install
had not caught.

> If it's possible to find out when this option needs to be added, then it
> could probably be added to the xserver-xorg maintainer scripts.

Good.  I will look into this over the weekend.

    Thanks,
    Mitch Golden