Alternate partitioning for GUI installer

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 10 14:16:03 BST 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:37:57AM -0700, Tom Marshall wrote:
> I've recently noticed that the dapper desktop installer is a bit too picky
> in its partitioning requirements for my tastes.  It requires a large (2GB
> IIRC) root partition and I like to keep my root partition small.  I also
> recently tried playing with lvm and it doesn't seem to recognize lvm
> partitions.
>
> I was just wondering if these issues are my design -- which would be
> understandable for a desktop oriented install -- or whether they will be
> addressed in the upcoming releases.  I've worked around both issues by
> installing with the server cd, and subsequently decided that I prefer it to
> the livecd even for desktop installs (yes, I'm a longtime Debian user...)

The desktop CD installer's partitioner is somewhat hacked-together at
present, and I plan to rewrite it:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/ubiquity-advanced-partitioner

These restrictions will probably be removed once that's done (though LVM
may come a bit later). Unfortunately the work required turned out to be
rather too much to fit into Edgy, so it had to be deferred, but I'll
keep working on it.

Cheers,