Edgy "Crash Reports"?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 5 08:34:15 BST 2006

Hi Lloyd,

Lloyd D Budd [2006-10-04 13:59 -0700]:
> There is a section in the Edgy Eft/Beta notes on [1], but no real
> information is provided. Where do I find more information from a
> user's perspective?

I think there is little to say about it. If a crash happens in a
non-Gnome application, you'll get a dialog that explains what happened
and asks you to file a bug (it opens the package's bug page in the
browser and gives some explanations and an insight into the crash
report).

Are you interested in any further documentation? If there is something
of general interest, I can create a wiki page for it.

> So far my crashes have been triggering bug buddy which have been
> going to GNOME bugzilla.

The desktop team prefered to keep bug-buddy for the time being. When
they decide that they want to use apport for gnome-bugs, they can do
so by disabling bug-buddy by default. If you want to try it yourself,
you can uninstall the bug-buddy package.

> I have nothing in /var/crash/

Heh, that's pretty surprising (I get crashes all over the place), but
OTOH it's a good sign. :)

> Is there something I should be doing to contribute more fully to
> Ubuntu?

If you are interested in trying and using apport, uninstall the
bug-buddy package for now. Any other type of contribution is warmly
welcomed as well, of course, please see the 'Contribute' section on
http://www.ubuntu.com/community for some links and ideas.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?