How long will 64bit Ubuntu users have to wait?

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Tue Oct 3 20:38:51 BST 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 12:28:44PM -0500, Kilz _ wrote:
>>> Thank you for clearing that up. I thought it was just not being put
>>> in Edgy.  I was unaware that there was no plan to ever add it.
>> It seems that you fail to understand that "There is currently no plan
>> to add it" is not the same as "The plan is to never add it". It's
>> simple boolean logic.
> Are you telling me there is no plan other than the present
> development?

Continued failure to grasp simple boolean logic. Pick up a penalty card.

In other words: No, that's not what I'm saying. I did not even touch
upon the subject.

> There is no roadmap as to what may be added in Edgy +1, +2, or +3?

Certain specs have been indefinitely deferred, while others have been
deferred to edgy+1. Still, I made no statement about this.

What you seem to fail to understand is the difference between the
following checklists:

== Checklist no. 1 ==
 * Pick up dry cleaning
 * Implement multiarch in Ubuntu
 * Call my mom

== Checklist no. 2 ==
 * Wash my bicycle
 * Implement X spec in Ubuntu
 * Do the dishes

== Chekclist no. 3 ==
 * Walk the dog
 * Make sure the never-implement-multiarch spec is obeyed
 * Sort my collection of navel fluff

You see, checklist no. 1 clearly lists an intention to add multiarch
support to Ubuntu. No. 2 and 3 do not list such an intention. In fact,
checklist no. 2 is completely multiarch agnostic. Checklist no. 3,
however, lists the lack of multiarch as a specific goal.

If my checlist was no. 2, it does not mean that I'd never work on
multiarch. It just isn't a part of my current "roadmap".

You seem to assume that when mdz tells you that the Ubuntu roadmap
does not include implementing multiarch, i.e. NOT checklist no. 1, you
automatically assume that there is a firm decision to never implement
multiarch, ie. checklist no. 3. The fact, however, is that there simply
is currently no plan to implement multiarch and nothing else, ie.
equivalent to checklist no. 2.

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |