hoping for suspend2 support in feisty

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 29 19:22:10 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-29-11 at 18:55 +0000, Paulo da Silva wrote:
> > On 11/28/06, Trent Lloyd <lathiat at bur.st> wrote:
> >
> >> AIUI, Nigel has given up trying to get suspend2 merged, as the current
> >> suspend maintainer doesn't want to merge it and wants to wait until
> >> he implements uswsusp instead.
> >>
> Why isn't there a script or at least a decent howto to let users
> to choose/patch/compile their own kernels and restricted drivers,
> even if not supported anymore by ubuntu?
>
> For each release of ubuntu/kubuntu I managed to compile
> my own kernel. One of the reasons is just the suspend2 that
> works pretty fine with my computer. But I always needed to find
> a tricky way to do that. For example for the edgy, after following
> and changing an howto, I needed to install nvidia-drivers not
> using the kubuntu/debian way. I think there should be additional
> documentation to recompile the kernel and handle restricted
> drivers. The lack of it is the main reason why I still didn't adopt
> kubuntu for my production system.

There is actually an excellent howto as regards compiling kernels:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild .  If you want to justdo it
the Debian Way, then installing linux-source-2.6.19 also works well; you
can patch it straightforwardly enough with
bzcat /path/to/suspend2-2.2.9 | patch -p1

and build with just

make menuconfig
make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=suspend2 --rootcmd fakeroot \
kernel-image

BUt , as you doubtless already know, the problem is in building
restricted-modules.  I found this particularly frustrating as I needed
the ipw3945 restricted firmware and daemon, which are packaged with
l-r-m but is of course not a module.

Anyway I know Ben intended to write up a guide to building l-r-m
packages when he wrote that wiki guide, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
It may be pretty complicated to do, I don't know.

I agree it would be nice if these were a little easier.

Matt

--
Matt Price
History Dept