hoping for suspend2 support in feisty

Paulo da Silva psdasilva at esoterica.pt
Wed Nov 29 23:54:57 GMT 2006

Matt Price escreveu:

>> Why isn't there a script or at least a decent howto to let users
>> to choose/patch/compile their own kernels and restricted drivers,
>> even if not supported anymore by ubuntu?
>>
>> For each release of ubuntu/kubuntu I managed to compile
>> my own kernel. One of the reasons is just the suspend2 that
>> works pretty fine with my computer. But I always needed to find
>> a tricky way to do that. For example for the edgy, after following
>> and changing an howto, I needed to install nvidia-drivers not
>> using the kubuntu/debian way. I think there should be additional
>> documentation to recompile the kernel and handle restricted
>> drivers. The lack of it is the main reason why I still didn't adopt
>> kubuntu for my production system.
>>

> There is actually an excellent howto as regards compiling kernels:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelCustomBuild .
When Edgy came out, I tried to follow that howto. It did'n work!.
I don't remember now what was the problem, but there's something
to do with the way to get the appropriate sources. I turned it
around anyway. The problem is that the process was different from
the one I used in the previous release. What's next? I need
a "stable" way to do things or at least a per release doc. So,
when a new version come out I just do the update, being it
a simple or complex method. The same for a new version
of the kernel.

> If you want to justdo it
> the Debian Way, then installing linux-source-2.6.19 also works well; you
> can patch it straightforwardly enough with
> bzcat /path/to/suspend2-2.2.9 | patch -p1
>
> and build with just
>
> make menuconfig
> make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=suspend2 --rootcmd fakeroot \
> kernel-image

I am not sure this works. At least it didn't for dapper.

> BUt , as you doubtless already know, the problem is in building
> restricted-modules.  I found this particularly frustrating as I needed
> the ipw3945 restricted firmware and daemon, which are packaged with
> l-r-m but is of course not a module.
>
> Anyway I know Ben intended to write up a guide to building l-r-m
> packages when he wrote that wiki guide, but I haven't seen it anywhere.
> It may be pretty complicated to do, I don't know.

Don't think so! I don't believe developers don't have an easy way
to pack these things whenever a new kernel or driver is released.
But I may be wrong ...