Harddisk Encryption

Jeremy Schoenhaar jeremy at fam-schoenhaar.de
Tue Nov 28 18:17:46 GMT 2006

Am Montag, den 27.11.2006, 19:06 +0100 schrieb Jan Claeys:
> Op maandag 27-11-2006 om 19:33 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Karoliina
> Salminen:
> > On 11/27/06, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> > > As this is mainly targeted at 1. business users and 2. experienced
> > > users, it shouldn't be in the live CD installer where it would only
> > > confuse most users, but it could be an advanced option in the
> > > alternative installer, to be used by (company) sysadmins.
>
> > However, the assumption of company sysadmins installing
> > Linux may be not so accurate. In many cases it is the employees
> > themselves who install Linux since they can do it better than the
> > sysadmins who are more Windows-oriented in some cases. E.g. which
> > sysadmin would come and install (currently unstable, experimental)
> > Ubuntu Feisty for me? I am using Feisty at work...
>
> I said business users (with the help of sysadmins) & experienced users.
> If you can survive several Ubuntu development cycles, I consider you to
> be an experienced user.   ;-)
>
> (And if they don't know linux, they can't mandate using an encrypted
> file system and at the same time allow you to install Ubuntu, as they
> won't know if you actually do what they require.)
>
> --
> Jan Claeys

Now that I finally get a chance to reply... I see no reason that we
should be offering an option in the installer to one group but not
the other. If I am not mistaken Ubuntu is targeted at the migrator from
windows and not at sysadmins/gurus. Most users DO know what encryption
is, they may not know the ramifications of encrypting certian partitions
( which can be easily explained, without getting too far into depth ),
but offering encryption at install time for advanced users/admins (who,
generally know how to, encrypt partitions anyway) but not newbies (who
only barely find google.com/linux in theyre first month) seems way out
of league to me.

More commentation is of course welcome though

Jeremy Schoenhaar