How can we getting Ubuntu to work on the PlayStation 3?

Bryan Haskins kingofallhearts999 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 02:00:54 GMT 2006

The great canonical purchase... 3.5 million dollars spent on 30 PS3 units ;)

But joking aside it would be great to spread our wings more... we can just
review what users did to make FC install alright and go from their. the more
documentation the better. Shouldn't be extremely hard it's practically a
tower PC.

On 11/27/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4+news at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The Sony PlayStation 3 can run Linux. Fedora Core already runs[1] on the
> PS3 but
> Ubuntu doesn't yet. If we support the PS3 soon enough:
>
> * we'll fix more PS3 compatibility-related issues than the competition
> * we'll build "critical mass"
> * and we'll have a better chance of becoming the top distro on PS3.
>
> Alwin Garside writes at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/PS3Compatibility that we
> would
> need to:
>
> * patch and compile a PowerPC kernel build optimized for the PS3, and
> * patch and prepare the kboot bootloader image.
>
> He provides links to relevant documentation at that page.
>
> How can we get this done? Can we somehow provide Ubuntu developers with
> access
> to Playstation 3 machines? Perhaps we can somehow find units available for
> rent
> commercially. Or, perhaps we can post on Craigslist or the Ubuntu forums
> asking
> if there are some we can borrow or rent in the same city as various Ubuntu
> developers. Do these ideas make sense?
>
> Regards,
> Jason Spiro
>
> [1] See http://www.pslinux.org/ for instructions on installing Fedora on