How can we getting Ubuntu to work on the PlayStation 3?

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4+news at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 01:40:14 GMT 2006

Hi all,

The Sony PlayStation 3 can run Linux. Fedora Core already runs[1] on the PS3 but
Ubuntu doesn't yet. If we support the PS3 soon enough:

* we'll fix more PS3 compatibility-related issues than the competition
* we'll build "critical mass"
* and we'll have a better chance of becoming the top distro on PS3.

Alwin Garside writes at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/PS3Compatibility that we would
need to:

* patch and compile a PowerPC kernel build optimized for the PS3, and
* patch and prepare the kboot bootloader image.

He provides links to relevant documentation at that page.

How can we get this done? Can we somehow provide Ubuntu developers with access
to Playstation 3 machines? Perhaps we can somehow find units available for rent
commercially. Or, perhaps we can post on Craigslist or the Ubuntu forums asking
if there are some we can borrow or rent in the same city as various Ubuntu
developers. Do these ideas make sense?

Regards,
Jason Spiro

[1] See http://www.pslinux.org/ for instructions on installing Fedora on the PS3.