Non-opensource drivers

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 26 12:05:56 GMT 2006

Hi Colin

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 16:56 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > No. This should be separate. People always need wireless more than fancy
> > graphics.
>
> The reason I ask is: why would you have moral objections to one but not
> the other?

My personal policy is to only use proprietary software when needed. On
some of my PC's, I need proprietary software to do my work, or to get a
certain amount of required functionality out of my computer. On others,
I can get away easily by using only free software, and I get a good
feeling knowing that my computer runs 100% on free software. Limiting
the amount of proprietary software to only what I need is important to
me, and I think there are others who feel the same.

So it's not so much an issue of moral objections, it's more an issue of
avoiding excessive and unneeded proprietary code.

my 2c :)

-Jonathan