tracking down bugs in debian/ubuntu

Kees Cook kees at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 3 20:34:15 GMT 2006

Hi Monty!

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 12:12:07PM -0800, Monty Taylor wrote:
> So who do I send a bug report to? I'm guessing that this is a MOTU
> problem, perhaps? Obviously I haven't quite ascended to that level
> yet, so I can't help directly, but I'd like to.

Yes, it falls under MOTU since it is a universe package.  No one has
reported the issue yet[1], so feel free to open a bug in Launchpad.  If
you're interested in preparing a patch for Dapper, please see the Ubuntu
Security Update Procedures[2], though we don't usually do version
upgrades, we just take security fix patches.  If you want to see
wordpress 2.0.5 in Dapper, then you probably want to examine the
backports policy[4].

(It looks like 2.0.5 just got into Debian unstable[3].)

> Then, past this particular issue, what's the general solution to this
> type of problem? Obviously part of the solution is getting involved,
> but as we all know that's a slow process. Do I just keep sending
> annoying emails until I can upload fixes? I hate bothering people...

In general, it's probably best to open a bug report.  From there, you
can follow either the SUP, backport, or Stable Release Updates[5]
procedures to see some movement on the issue.  :)

I hope that helps,

[1] https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/wordpress/+bugs
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityUpdateProcedures
[3] http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wordpress.html