Picasa for Linux

Marco Cabizza mc at newglobal.it
Mon May 29 16:15:41 BST 2006

Il giorno lun, 29/05/2006 alle 06.26 +0800, Joel Bryan Juliano ha
scritto:
> On 5/29/06, Marco Cabizza <mc at newglobal.it> wrote:
>
>         Unfortunately in my opinion the licensing issue is not enough.
>         We don't
>         want poorly-ported software - if Picasa *might even be*
>         considered a
>         porting - in our distributions. People will just see that
>         their favorite
>         software, Picasa, runs poorly under their Ubuntu Linux system,
>         and say
>         in the end that:
>
>         1) Emulation sucks because it's slow
>         2) Software for Windows is better the DIRECT Linux equivalent
>         (Firefox
>         as well respects this rule)
>
> How does OpenOffice.org's Java VM differs from Emulation in terms of
> speed?

I have never talked about OpenOffice.org and I am a strong LaTeX/Abiword
user (which _OF COURSE_ doesn't mean that anyone should be one).

Still, we're talking about something else, here the licensing issue
matters and OOo is actually free software :)

>         I am not the only one[1] who thinks so, by the way. Speaking
>         of
>         emulation, in fact, we should consider it just if there is
>         _NO_ free
>         alternative to non-free software (I think about Flash for
>         graphics and
>         animation (there actually are alternatives for web-releated
>         stuff[2])),
>         and this is not the case.
>
> It's really hard to convience those proprietary developers to open
> source their software, unless, they really want it or 95% of global
> computer users use Linux.

Totally agree, unfortunately.

> If we really can't convience them, the only way is to make a similar
> open source version or use the Picasa approach, and by doing that, the
> only thing that is really important is to convience them to put those
> apps in universe.

Multiverse, still Picasa is _not_ free. Still, we should probably prefer
free software for programs who've got a free alternative.. I don't know
how many times I've expressed this concept :)

Take care
~marco