Are eagle-usb-* packages inside the Dapper CDs?

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Mon May 22 12:30:51 BST 2006

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 12:03 +0200, Ricardo Pérez López wrote:
>
>> IMHO, to provide Internet connection to the user must be a critical
>> priority,
>>
> Whatever priority it is, we can't magic into existance knowledge of
> this.  It's not a time problem, it's simply that we can't fix the
> packages without testing them.
>
> Nobody has come forward to actually say they have one of these modems,
> and one of these ADSL lines.
>
> So nobody is available to get the packages into shape.

I have the hardware (but not the line, although I could get access to
it) and I am planning to solve this issue. However I need help in
finding proper way to solve it.

First thing is plugging the whole thing into network management
infrastructure. How such modem should be set up? As PPP modem? As
network card? It uses PPPoE/PPPoA. Maybe it should be integrated with
NetworkManager?

Second problem is firmware. It is not publicly available, so it must be
extracted from driver CD distributed with modem.

Third problem is integration with hotplug/udev. The modem without
firmware appears as one USB device, then requests download or firmware
and appears as another firmware device.

Fourth problem is configuration - to work, this modem requires username
and password. User must supply it somehow. Moreover, this password is
different on first usage (just for registration of new user) and during
normal operation.

Fifth problem is frontend. I am working on Kubuntu and can prepare
frontend, but somebody should work on Ubuntu frontend. Hopefully the
whole backend stuff can be shared, it is only matter of asking user for
configuration and integration with existing applets/configuration tools.
Possibly Daniel Koć could handle things on Ubuntu front as we have
initially discussed.

How I imagine it working:
1. User plugs in a modem.
2. If the firmware is not present, dialog pops up which asks user to
insert CD with firmware and firmware is copied to proper location.
4. Modem is initialized.
5. If the modem is not configured, dialog pops up with question about
username/password. If user does not have username/password, modem is
configured with default registration settings and web browser pops up on
registration page. Dialog is not closed and has the note "Please come
back here after registration and fill in proper username and password".
6. After user is registered, modem is reconfigured and restarted with
proper configuration.

If firmware is installed and username/password present, no questions
should be asked. However there should be possibility to change the options.

Any help/pointers to proper places is welcome :)

I realize this is Edgy stuff and I have been waiting for Dapper to be
released, but since the subject has been brought up...

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota