Debian-Ubuntu weakness to filesystem corruption recovery

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Fri May 12 21:30:55 BST 2006

On 5/12/06, chantra <chantra at debuntu.org> wrote:
>  I found something wrong with the way debian handled backups for directories
> like /var/lib/dpkg.
>
>  /etc/cron.daily/standard use to save it to /var/backups
>  but then what happens when /var get corrupted ?

Well, you say in your article that more happens than just losing /var:
"The /var directory is a really precious one when running a server,
this is the place where mysql keep his datas, postfix (and other
mailing soft) his mails."

So if /var goes, you'd lose quite a bit, not just Debian stuff.

I'm not invalidating your article, just pointing out that any server
admin worth their salt would have a separate backup of this stuff
already. :P

What would really be terrible is if this file cannot be regenerated so
that the system can continue.  I'm not sure what this file does
offhand, but I'd hope that it's not the fragile and irrecoverable crux
of the system....