Debian-Ubuntu weakness to filesystem corruption recovery

chantra chantra at debuntu.org
Fri May 12 19:43:15 BST 2006

Hi,

I found something wrong with the way debian handled backups for
directories like /var/lib/dpkg.

/etc/cron.daily/standard use to save it to /var/backups
but then *what happens when /var get corrupted* ?
Do we have to lose variable datas and the whole system, or should we be
able to keep the system and just deal with the /var bit?
I made an article about this, you can find it on
http://www.debuntu.org/2006/05/12/48-debian-ubuntu-weakness-to-filesystem-corruption-recovery

I'm giving more details on what happened and what could have been done
to avoid a "disaster".

Let me know :)

chantra