Debian-Ubuntu weakness to filesystem corruption recovery

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Fri May 12 21:48:07 BST 2006

good evening,

On Friday 12 May 2006 20:43, chantra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found something wrong with the way debian handled backups for
> directories like /var/lib/dpkg.
>
> /etc/cron.daily/standard use to save it to /var/backups
> but then *what happens when /var get corrupted* ?
> Do we have to lose variable datas and the whole system, or should we
> be able to keep the system and just deal with the /var bit?
> I made an article about this, you can find it on
> http://www.debuntu.org/2006/05/12/48-debian-ubuntu-weakness-to-filesy
>stem-corruption-recovery

I read your article, and as far as I can see there is just one mistake:

running a server in a production environment is forcing you to create
external backups actually. /etc/ /var/<some very special directories>.
You actually don't rely on backups made by the system iteself somewhere
on the system. that's a nono :)

Oh and /tmp should be on it's on partition, to mount it with "noexec".
many worms and backdoors in some wide spreaded web applications are
using this, and somehow it's accessible if it's not mounted with the
option "noexec"

for the laptop or desktop machine, the reinstallation is not a big deal,
the big deal for laptop and desktop machines is more /home, where all
the real data is sleeping.

regards,

\sh