Quality Control Suggestion

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Tue May 2 11:04:18 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> If you want to survey which applications are most important to users in the
> forums, wouldn't it be more sensible to run a poll in the forums rather than
> on a wiki page?

Agreed. I've just tested a poll macro for Moin and I'm not sure it
matches the wiki way very well, where you should be able to change the
whole page around. Also if you list 20-odd applications it seems odd to
ask people to vote for only one of those, if they feel quite strongly
about 5 of them. The Mandrake Club used to (still does?) have a system
for voting for apps you would like to see packaged. Each person got a
certain number of votes each week, or a similar system, where you could
spread your vote on several apps. We could look at implementing
something similar in Launchpad (but for vtesting instead of packaging).
Perhaps your weekly karma 'income' could translate into the number of
votes you could cast for applications :)
> A GREAT way to show
> how important an application is to you would be to write a test plan for it
> and carry out the test plan with each milestone release.

Perhaps an adopt-a-package wiki page. In the same way that members of
the laptop testing team each has a model that he/she is responsible for,
one could champion a package by writing a test plan for it and encourage
other to help with testing.

If that does happen I would love to see some basic accessibility testing
figured into those test plans to check that it works with the AT tools.
So in the case of Firefox, one would also run a quick test with
gnopernicus to make sure that it can speak the page content.

- Henrik