Quality Control Suggestion

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue May 2 04:11:42 BST 2006

On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 11:44:16AM -0400, Richard Kleeman wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> >>What mechanism would you suggest to entrain the community on a wider
> >>scale into such this exercise?
> >
> >Our milestone announcement messages could refer testers to these pages; the
> >tricky bit is to have a mechanism in place to record the results (whether
> >success or failure).  We use an ad-hoc wiki page for installation cases at
> >the moment, but could do with something more formal.
> >
> A (somewhat primitive) wiki page is up and running and slowly dragging
> in votes:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Suite/Desktop
>
> The forum people are a bit tentative editing wikipages I think and also
> if you had a word to the moderators it might help in getting this
> stickied ;-) (I am one lone user here ;-))

If you want to survey which applications are most important to users in the
forums, wouldn't it be more sensible to run a poll in the forums rather than
on a wiki page?

> This Poll is intended to come up with a list of applications that an
> automated script will run through regularly for development releases.

Also, at this point, we're much more interested in simple, easy-to-follow
test plans than fancy automated testing tools.  The good news is that almost
anyone can write one of these after reading an example.  A GREAT way to show
how important an application is to you would be to write a test plan for it
and carry out the test plan with each milestone release.

--
 - mdz