acer laptops

javier javiermon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 23:33:07 GMT 2006

Hi

Acer is becoming a quite popular manufacture for laptops, and looking at the
testing team, forums, etc I think many ubuntu users have this kind of
laptops. In my own opinion, they are becoming popular because (at least in my
country) they offer better hardware components (cpu, gpu, etc) for a more
reasonable price than other companies.

Ubuntu support for this kind of laptops is completely driven by community
(i.e. cannonical doesn't supply any of their laptop testing team one of this
machines, as far as I'm aware). I'm also aware that acer gives hardware which
isn't "right", i.e.: somehow broken and always needs some kind of
tweaking/hacking.

I've recently found this page:
http://www.archernar.co.uk/acer_acpi/acer_acpi_main.html
Which is a kernel module for adding some support for this laptops. I was
wondering if this module could be added to dapper+1 since I think it would
help having a better linux experience for acer users.

Thanxs.