acer laptops

Josué Alcalde González josuealcalde at
Tue Mar 21 01:27:50 GMT 2006

El mar, 21-03-2006 a las 00:33 +0100, javier escribió:
> Hi
> Acer is becoming a quite popular manufacture for laptops, and looking at the
> testing team, forums, etc I think many ubuntu users have this kind of
> laptops. In my own opinion, they are becoming popular because (at least in my
> country) they offer better hardware components (cpu, gpu, etc) for a more
> reasonable price than other companies.
> Ubuntu support for this kind of laptops is completely driven by community
> (i.e. cannonical doesn't supply any of their laptop testing team one of this
> machines, as far as I'm aware). I'm also aware that acer gives hardware which
> isn't "right", i.e.: somehow broken and always needs some kind of
> tweaking/hacking.
> I've recently found this page:
> Which is a kernel module for adding some support for this laptops. I was
> wondering if this module could be added to dapper+1 since I think it would
> help having a better linux experience for acer users.
> Thanxs.
It is very easy to compile/install, but unfortunately it doesn't work
for my Acer Travelmate 4001 WLMI.
I take a look to the code and it seems there is a lot of "Sorry, not
implemented" messages. It needs more work.
The worst problem with Acer laptops was the Smart Battery, but the new
kernel in dapper, support it without patching the DSDT.