Bugs managment

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 04:30:33 GMT 2006

On 3/20/06, João Pinto <Lamego at pt-link.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> is there any rule for inactive bugs management on malone ?
> The feeling I got with the few bugs I have reported is that there is no
> general concern about bugs management unless the bug affects a
> considerable amount of users.
> In my opinion a bug should not be  open without any activity after a few
> months, the two possible scenarios for idle bugs are:
> - The reporter(s) are not providing any feedback for the package
> maintainer to arrange for a fix - Bug should be closed
> - The maintainer(s) are not providing any feedback for the bug
> resolution -  The bug must be assigned to another developer

The problem is simply a man power one.  As of tonight, there are 9500
open bugs out of the 27929 submitted to Ubuntu in the last 18+ months.
 How many paid developpers Ubuntu has 10? 15?  And there is the 30-odd
MOTU people to take care of the non-main packages.

So we are talking here of 40 people for 9500 bugs, and the 10 or so
full-time Ubuntu people can only spend a portion of their time on
actual bug stuff since they also have a distro to release.

That's why it is important for the rest of the community of get
involve to follow up on these older bugs, to make sure bug reports of
already fixed problems are close, to try to confirm someone else bug,
weed out duplicate problems, and to make sure bugs still present are
kept open and contain all the info a developper would need to solve
it.

Visit #ubuntu-bugs in IRC for advice . Help during our regular Bug
days ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay), and get involve whenever
you have the technical knowledge and time
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs).

--
Daniel Robitaille