outdated nvidia drivers in the repository are a serious problem

Pascal Potvin pascal.potvin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 02:25:04 GMT 2006

I think we're losing the idea. The real objective is to give people
the opportunity of using their new hardware, easily. I think the easy
way of solving this is by giving a .deb that contains the new drivers.
There is no disadvantages in giving a choice. It's just like the
back-ports, but it's for hardware. Then, we can send to nvidia the new
drivers for Ubuntu Breezy. This will give us much more credibility
than anything else.

Here's the diff file of the conversation you will have w/ your wealthy friend :
---
"Friend : Hey, I just bought the new MSI GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB, the
most powerful gaming video card know to this date, but Ubuntu can't
seem to configure it properly, what do I do ?"

- "You : Man, it doesn't work, get some lovin' with the nvidia driver
source, or get out."
+ "You : Ah well, the drivers are on nvidia's website, just like with
any other OS"
---
See, I think we have to work <important>with</important> the world,
not just creating our own.

Cheers,

Pascal Potvin